Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Submarines that have nothing to do with Sandwiches

I would like to begin with an apology for my last post, in which I used "it's" when it clearly should have been "its". Please forgive me. 

So I'm sitting here watching "U-571" with my dad, and I'm thinking back. I once went through a brief yet passionate love affair with submarine movies. "U-571", "The Hunt for Red October", and my favorite of all, "Das Boot". Yup, there's something about submarines that really gets to me. It's probably the fact that I can't think of anything more frightening than being on a submarine that is getting the poop depth-charged out of them. And don't forget, who doesn't love to hear people yelling things like, "Dive! Dive! Dive!" and "200 meters?! Captain, that's suicide!" I love it anyway. 

I once did a report on submarines in I think seventh grade. If I remember correctly, they were first put into place back during the U.S. Civil War. But this isn't a history lesson, oh no!
Try and imagine yourself as the first financier of this crazy contraption, the inventor nervously pitching you the plan. 

"I've got this idea," he says to you, an eager look in his eyes. He claps his and rubs them together. "Get this. We take a bunch of metal, stick some people in it, and drop it underwater, and then they can shoot stuff at boats or whatever. Whadaya say?"

Be you male or female, you stroke your well groomed mutton chops deep in thought, and ask: "So, like a boat that floats right under the water?"

"No, no," he replies, "More like a metal sausage filled with explosives that you fill parts with water and let it sink to about one hundred feet!"

"Ah, I see! Well, by all means, go to it!" 

 And that, I assume, is how the first submarine was created. 

Decades later, of course, someone else came around with the idea of filling them with nukes. So next time you eat a metal hot dog, think back to that first submarine. 

No comments: