Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Future Sucks.

So I had an interesting conversation with my mother the other day and I decided to take all of the points and talk about them here and treat them as my own. Don't worry, I'll expand on them, so there's some justifiable ownership. 

Technology, these days, seems to be a terrible two edged sword with very little middle ground to stand on without the proper attitude. But then again, who's to say there is a right attitude toward this kind of thing? Perhaps only Gringox, the Norse god of Technology, but since he doesn't exist outside the furthest reaches of my imagination, we really don't have an appropriate judge for this kind of thing. But what kind of thing am I talking about?

Well it's the basic idea that so much technology allows for all kinds of communication with people that you might never have the chance to talk to, or at least not as often. If it weren't for things like facebook, there would be no way for me to leave messages for my friends in Southern California, Boulder, Colorado, and London, England in one night. There would me no way for me to call a friend on a whim and ask if they want to go see a movie right then and there if we both happen to not be at home near a land-line telephone. I wouldn't be able to send all kinds of messages to all kinds of people getting all kinds of results through that giant beast known simply as 'the e-mails', which, as legend has it, is the love child of Gringox, the Norse god of Technology and Sheeloth, the Greek god of Postal Delivery. We try to forget about their other, more ugly child 'the faxes'

With all of these amazing benefits comes perhaps an even more devastating list of crappy attributes (*Credit here to my mom). Facebook, e-mail, myspace (who still uses that besides out-of-date high schoolers?), whatever pick of the techno poisons you please allow for a terrible feeling of neglect from the world. I know I feel pretty crappy when no one comments on my wall, no one calls my cell phone, and I don't even get a spam e-mail from Netflix. Back in the olden days, between building cars with crowbars and pieces of coal and growing crops out of nothing but dust and snow, no one was whining like me that they didn't get a text message. Life went on, people found each other when they wanted to find each other. 

Text messaging alone is the bane of my existence. Have you ever tried to flirt via text message? It's hard. There's no tone to what you say. I can't even fit in more than 120 characters in a message, forcing me to send awkward half-thoughts or reduce wrds 2 dub lil things lik dis ;). No thanks. I didn't spend years watching Sesame Street to throw out everything I learned about spelling and language to cram garbage into my phone. 

And how do you end a text conversation? If they don't text back, I'm left in this dizzying spiral of thoughts like: "Was I too much? Is she mad? Is she ignoring me? Was she trying to read what I was saying while driving a car and now she had collided with the eternal after colliding with a truck and I AM RESPONSIBLE??!?!" Then she texts later, am I'm like, "Well she made me wait, so I'll text back when I want to." I hate it.

So I guess you should call or text me so I don't feel so pitiful whenever I look at my cell phone. 
I'm kidding, I don't feel pitiful, I just needed a clever ending line. So, uh... keep reading, dear readers. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whoa and here I was thinking I was crazy and the only one who thought any of this...good post!