Friday, January 2, 2009

From Sea To Shining Sea!

So I think I blog a lot more when I'm here in Virginia. There are just so many zany differences out here!

Virginia, as it happens, is on the East Coast, and is also in what many consider "the south." I, as it happens, originate from the West Coast, mostly California and Seattle. Out here things are old. Well as old as they get in the U.S. Colonial towns, Civil War cemeteries, etc. 

Last night, I watched No Country for Old Men with my family. I've been reading a lot of Cormac McCarthy on top of that. The thing is, his stories, that movie is awfully "American." It American in the same way the wild west is American, adventure in a harsh landscape, horses, guns, all that jazz. But it is such a different "American" than this colonial feel. 

I have very little to say. Only that there is such a fascinating, interesting diverse palate of what is American, in culture and ideals. Powdered wigs to cowboy hats, I guess.

I'm going to go fire my pistol in the air and sing the star spangled banner.  

No comments: