Thursday, October 23, 2008

Somethin' New

Ask me about being provided for, that's a good story I'd love to tell you in person.

Anyway. My advanced short story class (oh that's right— advanced) recently went through our first batch of short stories, of which mine was included. It was a startling process, especially after having spent so much time recently in my Writing Center training course. Allow me to explain. In Writing Center theory, the idea is (and this is a gross simplification) that the tutor is an equal, they and the writer sit side-by-side, the tutor asking questions to help the writer become better at their skill. Theoretically, both people bring something to the table, and both should leave with something more, even if it's just a warm fuzzy feeling. I give those out like candy.

Now when you get critiqued in a short story class, everyone in the class reads the work and you all sit in a circle. If your story is read, then you remain completely silent while everyone in the circle talks about what they liked or didn't like in your story. Sometimes someone will come in with discussion questions about your story.

Such was the case last Tuesday. I had spent four weeks reading and writing and practicing writing center theory, and then Tuesday came and I had to sit silent while a group of people that I do not know too well picked apart the themes of my story. Now hold on, there's value to that. You can't always be there to explain things to your readers. You can't always be around to say what you really meant or point out where they just "didn't get it." It's often very cool to hear people talk out your work, and how they got things out of it that you didn't mean to put in. I appreciate it.

But the flop side is this: with a community of student writers, none of which who are paid professionals enjoying a creative lifestyle, we all tend to fall into the trap of reading work and saying to ourselves, "their story isn't a s good as mine because..."

I think that there should be a new model. I think that some of the best writing is accomplished by two friends that want to see each other succeed, but who are honest with each other. Now obviously, the University can't force friends out of people and pair them up to make them better writers. You can't be assigned a muse or inspiration. But if you ask me, it can be encouraged much more than it is now. Writers, I encourage you: find someone who writes that you trust and want to see succeed. Help them be the best writer they can be, and hope they return the favor. I'll be looking for mine, I hope you're looking for yours.

No comments: