Thursday, October 2, 2008

Politickin'

So when I was a kid, I thought that the term "separation of church and state" meant that the government hated my church and did not like me singing in the choir. As I got older, I thought it was all about just keeping prayer out of schools, which sounds like bullying to us Jesus lovers if you live in suburban Colorado.

My mother helped me see it differently. Church is not just Christianity, and thinking so is a bit ignorant of me.

Looking at this current political season, I am caused to mull over my thinking of the topic again, and perhaps encourage others to think about it. Sarah Palin made a comment in tonight's debate that to many people, myself included, would find gentle and kind, but when said in the political environment, it felt... awkward. Governor Palin said to Senator Biden that his wife's treasure was in heaven for teaching for thirty years. Said personally over lunch, in a church, or in someone's home, a lovely comment, but out in the open during a debate, I had to think: does Christ want in our politics? Let's keep this brief, I could go on all day.

We should keep the church and the state seperate. I will tell you why I think this way. There is the very simple, clean view of states run by religion have a history of performing terribly. There, easy answer. Here's another: the government belongs to man. It is in place by man and rules over man. Our accountability to God is between us and God. We have governments to prevent total anrachy, and to prevent folks from murdering each other over fender-benders (I generalize). We do not have governments to make sure that my relationship with God is tip-top. We do not have laws making sure that I'm praying before lunch. We do not have laws that make sure I'm not lying and being an all-around jerk. That's my relationship with God, not my relationship with my government, my morality is a tough thing to ink into broad laws for everyone.

And here's the kicker: Christ said, "Give to Ceaser what is Ceaser's, and to God what is God's." So yeah, respect your government, but remember who you have the most important relationship with. The final note: if Jesus wanted to be the political and literal King (or president), he would have came and done so. But you know what? He came as a back-woods lecturer and teacher who just happened to be God as well. I don't think he wants to be voted into office.

1 comment:

Loreen said...

Good thoughts, Kylito. I had a professor in a class who talked about how he didn't want the school system teaching his kids about God - he wanted to teach his kids about God. He didn't want a church run government deciding what his children would or would not learn about who God is or isn't. I liked that perspective on it as well.