Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The End of Things

Ever since I was a little kid, I've wondered if certain things will ever actually come to an end. Gimmicks, story lines, characters, will these things even close? Allow me to give an example. I have often wondered: What if Trix cereal is finally discontinued? Will the add campaign finally allow the rabbit to get those Trix? Will anyone ever finally say, "No more, Star Wars is over, quit adding stuff,"? It sounds silly, but think about it: how would hose kinds of things end? Will all Spider-Man story lines finally wrap up? Blah, blah, it all sounds geeky, but those are just my examples.

This whole idea has changed since the internet. Let me ask you, is there ever a day when you think you will get rid of your facebook account? Think about it. Is there a point when you'll close it down, turn it off? Maybe we'll use it less and less as we get older, but maybe we're a new generation that will keep it up. Now think... one day, we will have had our facebook accounts for years. Five years. Ten years. Twenty years. And the internet will have frozen pictures of us and our friends in progression for the past twenty years. When will we shut them down? Will our kids log onto our accounts and see these progressive photo albums of our teenage and adult lives?

I'm just curious. Goodnight.

2 comments:

Rob said...

In response specifically to your question about the internet and facebook in particular - I don't know that people should shut down such sites.

Picture albums were replaced by scrapbooking; Diaries are slowly being replaced by blogs; letters are being replaced by email.

Just in the past couple of weeks, major newspapers have announced plans to move completely into the digital age - no more paper. Whether we want to admit it or not, I think we have to accept the fact that this is how things will now be.

Now, as far as the end of Star Wars is concerned - IT WILL NEVER END! We need to know how Han and Leia's grandchildren will preserve the Republic...

Amy said...

I often wonder if there will be a day when McDonald's ceases to exist. I mean, it can't go on forever, can it? And that brings me to the idea of our whole society as it is ceasing to exist. Maybe one thing at a time; maybe one fell swoop. I'm not talking about when Christ returns. I'm talking about if Christ should linger for thousands of years. Will everything change? Will our country and our world become so altered that you and I wouldn't recognize it, like in some movie where the character goes to the future and the future is some wiped-out post-Apocalypse kind of place. Sometimes I think about that.