Friday, August 1, 2008

D.C./Virginia Day 1

Welcome to my little vacation journal! So it's day one here with my family out in Virginia... but let's start from the beginning. 

My flight over was especially interesting. I occupied myself for the majority of the trip, but when the flight was in its last hour or so, I cracked open the window. I looked out and felt a rather exhilarating rush of wonder. This will perhaps sound juvenile, but in all honesty, I don't think I've ever flown so high in the air. It looked as thought I was not only catching a glimpse of the horizon, but I could cup my hands around it and slide my hands over the edges of the earth. 

I arrived and was picked up by my Dad, a welcomed sight to behold! I began to tour around my family's new town, Alexandria, Virginia. I was shocked to see how correct my assumptions were about what the East Coast looked liked. Trees, trees, trees, but the kind that turn a golden amber in the fall, generous space between each trunk on the ground. Black paved roads that looked as thought they had been smoothed out on the ground with a butter knife. Every building made of brick. Rows of town houses were lined up across the neighborhoods, narrow, tight homes that carried a catalogue-quality elegance to them. 

I arrived home and enjoyed a wonderful lasagna (my favorite) prepared by dear old Mom, hung out with my little brothers, then fell asleep in a chair. We decided to go on a cursory tour of the nations' capitol, so we grabbed our shoes, my camera, and a sense of adventure! I'll admit, we weren't too adventurous, we have a little GPS thing in the car. But here are some of my favorite pictures of D.C. at dusk from a moving car. 


Here we have the Washington Monument. Note the flashing red eyes ther
e at the top— it seems you've made it rather mad.

A side of the Lincoln Memorial. Don't worry, I'll have a much better picture of the great emancipator's mug up here soon enough!
Here's my favorite picture of the night: it's that one street you always see those caravans of secret agent jeeps or whatever drive down in all of those gripping political thrillers. Plus, this one's in focus!

Well so ends day one. Even now the cicadas are chirping their hearts out right outside the windows. True, it's only about eight o'clock back home in Seattle, but it's eleven here and I'm tired. Hopefully I'll be going on the Alexandria, VA ghost walk tomorrow, so color me excited! 

You know what? I'm tired, and I'm gong to take advantage of this lack of jet lag to deal with and hit the hay. OMG I LUV U ALL PLZ COMMENT! No but seriously, stay cool, cats. 

Kyle out. 




No comments: